A Taupe for the History Books: Chanel Taupe Gris

No, I haven’t broken my no buy. I got a belated birthday present from my favourite Aunt. A lady of excellent taste I might add. Not only did she kindly gift me with the NARS Only You eye and cheek palette *swoon* but she also gave me the taupe equivalent of a lottery win (for me anyway, taupe addicts will understand...)


Chanel Taupe Gris is ltd edition and part of their Autumn collection. At £19.50 this is definitely an investment piece and given that taupe is one of my go to work shades I plan to use every last swipe of this shadow. I am not the sort of girl who buys ltd edition makeup then never uses it because I can’t buy it again. A lot of money was paid (though admittedly not by me) therefore I plan on getting the value from it.


The colour in the pan was difficult to capture. It’s in between the pictures with and without the flash. The swatch looks colour accurate to me. It is a deep smoky taupe that looks slightly purple to me. Is has shimmer but isn’t frosty. It’s soft but not powdery. It is, frankly, wonderful. It blends like a dream and does not fade (with primer of course).

The packaging surprises me. It’s not really what I was expecting from Chanel. For starters, a sponge applicator? No ta. This shadow deserves a decent brush. I’m not gouging a hole in it with a sponge applicator even if it is a Chanel one! And whilst the mirror is a nice touch the bulky packaging makes the little 2g pan seem even more meagre. The little faux velvet pouch is handy for keeping mucky finger prints off the sleek black case however the pouch itself feels a little cheap.


Do you need this shadow in your life? If you, like many other makeup addicts, are addicted to taupe and you have £19.50 burning a hole in your pocket then make haste to your nearest counter and pray it’s still in stock. That said there are plenty of beautiful taupes out there that don’t cost anywhere near as much. I do think it is unique in my collection and I can see this being a taupe of legend once the collection has sold out. I love it, do you?

*The above taupe-a-licious shadow was given to me as a gift. My review is as always my honest opinion. For more info see my disclosure policy in the menu on the left hand side*
Save A Taupe for the History Books: Chanel Taupe Gris on social network:

Followers

Archive